Wine list Iceland, by the Spanish writer Jordi Pujolà
Don´t you know what wine to buy for a special occasion? Do you want to drink an excellent wine without spending a fortune? Skál!
I have been asked many times about my favourite wine list Iceland and finally I made this:
Wine list Iceland
As all who live in Iceland, I know wine is expensive and making a good choice is more important than in other countries where alcohol taxes are lower. Everyone can buy the most expensive wine in Vínbúðin or a restaurant, but this is not the point.
This is my top ten wine list Iceland in Vínbúðin according price and quality.
- La Joya gran reserva Syrah, Chile, red wine. Price 2.589 kr. (with red meat or red tuna).
- Pesquera Crianza, Ribera del Duero, Spain, red wine. Price 3.485 kr. (with red meat or red tuna).
- La Lus, Piamonte, Italy, red wine. Price 2.998 kr. (with red meat or red tuna).
- 1884 Estate Grown, Argentina, Malbec, red wine. Price 2.947 kr. (with red meat or red tuna).
- Amarone Tommasi della Valpolicella Classico 2013, Italy, red wine. Price 5.699 kr. (with red meat or red tuna).
- Marques de Riscal, Rueda, Spain, white wine. Price 1.999 kr. (with fish, pasta, paella and seafood).
- Jacob´s Creek Chardonnay, Australia, white wine. Price 1.999 kr. (with fish, pasta, paella and seafood).
- La Chablisienne Petit Chablis, France, white wine. Price 2.398 kr. (with fish, pasta, paella and seafood (especially oysters)).
- Freixenet Cava Organic Brut, Catalonia, Spain, cava. Price 1.990 kr. (with fish, pasta, paella and seafood).
- Cardenal Mendoza Gran Reserva, brandi (better than cognac, try it and invite me). Price 9.946 kr. (cigars?).
I recommend beer with indian, mexican, pizza and sushi. All the Icelandic beer is very good because the pure water and there are many kinds.
Some tips and difference between young, crianza, reserva and gran reserva wines:
- Remember every wine has a proper temperature to drink. Please check out the label and use your fridge according to it. White (8-12Cº), red (14-18Cº). The oldest the warmest.
- Keep your wine always in the fridge and put the cork on again. It can be in good condition up to one week. So don´t hesitate if feel like having just one glass. Remember that a good meal deserves a good wine.
- If the wine is old (Reserve, big reserve), please open the bottle 1 hour before drink it (at least) and use a decanter if you have one. Old wine needs to breath.
- Reserve or big reserve can be kept for a long time (watch out for temperature and humidity) and even improve in the bottle.
- Good wine is healthy and bad wine is poisonous.
- Don´t buy cheap alcohol for doing cocktails. You will save in health and hangovers.
- If you compare champagne and cava, cognac or brandi, please compare prices as well. For example, don´t compare a bottle of champagne of 10.000 kr. with a cava´s of 2000 kr. Please, look for a cava of the same price.
- If you are sensitive to headache from wine, drink only one glass with the main course (never with empty stomach) and drink water as well.
- Drink, smoke and eat (moderately) because life is short. Skál!
- Cosecha: young wine, any time in the barril.
- Crianza: 6-12 months in the barril and 2 years in the bottle.
- Reseva: 1 year in the barril and 3 in the bottle.
- Gran Reserva: 1,5 years in the barril and 4,5 in the bottle.
Wine list Iceland, by the Spanish writer Jordi Pujolà.